BAND AUDITION EXPECTATIONS
Preparation is Key
Band Audition Basic Requirements
- Bring your own instrument & equipment
- Be prepared to perform an etude piece. Practice to perfection until you can play it effortlessly.
- Sight Reading ~ Band directors may present a sheet for you to read and play.
- Scales (Major & Chromatic)
Find a list of scales here:
Major Scales: Concert
C, F, G, Bb, D, Eb, A, Ab, E, B, Db and Gb
Natural Minor Scales:
Concert A, D, E, G and C
- Flute - C to C, 3 octaves
- Clarinet- E to E, 3 octaves
- Saxophones- Low Bb to High F above the staff
- Trumpet- Low F# below the staff to High C above the staff
- Mellophone or French Horn- Low C below the staff to High G above the staff
- Trombone- Low E to Bb (second octave)
- Baritone (Bass Clef)- same as Trombones
- Baritone (Treble Clef)- same as Trumpets
- Tuba or Sousaphone- Low E to Bb (second octave)
Percussionists must display knowledge of the 40 Essential Rudiments;
- prepared etude/solo on snare drum
- Please start at a slow tempo and accelerate to a roll for a minimum of (5) seconds.
- The 40 Essential Rudiments can be found at:
Dress appropriately for band auditions.
- Upon entering panel band auditions
- Greet band directors
- Introduce yourself, state your high school, and name of band director
- State your primary instrument
- Answer any questions & follow any instructions given by band directors
- After audition, thank the participating band directors for the opportunity to audition.
Band audition scheduled times will be emailed to students one week prior to the HBCU College Fair & Band Auditions on Saturday, February 11, 2023.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions.